Summer in Santiago, Chile 2018
- Program Type: Coursework / Internships / Research
- Program Dates: May 20 – August 9, 2019
- Application Deadline: January 16, 2019
The Center for Latin American Studies (CLAS) at Georgetown University offers a six-credit summer academic program in Santiago, Chile in association with the Universidad Alberto Hurtado’s School of Social Sciences.
The program aims to expand the participant’s knowledge of contemporary Latin American topics by exploring issues prevalent in South America. Students of all concentrations can be placed in relevant internships and pursue independent research with the support of experts in international relations and political economy.
The program in Chile is generally geared towards issues of political economy, governance and historical memory. Appropriate concentrations include, but are not limited to: Political Economy, Government, Human Rights, Cultural Studies. All coursework and internships will be in Spanish.
Once you are admitted into a program, CLAS will work to place you into a professional internship in the country you have chosen.
Previous internships have included:
- CEPAL Economic Commission for Latin America and the Caribbean
- Museo de Memoria Histórica
- Fundación Chile 21
- Comisión Presidencial Decentralización, Oficina de la Presidencia
- Universidad de Chile (working with a group with the Presidents Office on Constitutional Reform)
- Centro de Investigación y Desarrollo de la Educación, Universidad Alberto Hurtado
General program and administrative questions should be directed to Julie McMurtry, CLAS Associate Director.
Questions concerning coursework, internships, or research should be directed to Angelo Rivero-Santos, CLAS Academic Director.