CLAS Summer Grants

CLAS offers travel grants to assist students with summer research projects and summer internship support. Award amounts will vary, depending on project type and location, as well as the quality of the proposal. Proposals are evaluated by a committee composed of the Associate Director and several faculty members.

The application process involves a brief application and a proposal outlining the research project or internship and its relationship to the student’s academic interests. Applications for funding travel undertaken between May and September will be due in late March.

To learn more about previous projects funded by CLAS, please explore the CLAS in Latin America page.

CLAS is occasionally able to support travel costs for graduate students whose research papers are accepted for presentation at professional conferences. If you would like to apply for CLAS to support your conference travel costs, please complete the Travel Funding form and return it to the CLAS office at least one month in advance of proposed travel dates.

Conference Travel Grants

The Graduate School supports the professional development of graduate students by providing Conference Travel Grants to both master’s and doctoral students. These grants may be used toward travel and other expenses associated with attendance at a professional meeting. For details and application schedules, please visit the Conference Travel Grants website.

Other Research Support

The Graduate School and the Office of External Fellowships can assist graduate students seeking external research funding. The Office of External Fellowships provides assistance with identifying external grant opportunities, proposal development services, and oversight of external grants and fellowships awarded to graduate students and postdoctoral fellows on the Main and Medical campuses at Georgetown. In addition, the Graduate School provides guidance with preparing the proposal for review and submission and is available to assist individual students in conducting specialized searches for external support. For details, visit the Graduate School of Arts & Sciences External Fellowships and & Funding page.

Independent Study

CLAS MA students may arrange to register for independent study for academic credit in order to develop an original research project on a topic related to their coursework or concentration. This can be arranged with a faculty member who is knowledgeable on the relevant topics serving as the independent study adviser. This arrangement has to be approved by the Academic Director or the Associate Director. Independent studies culminate in lengthy research papers, many of which students then submit for inclusion at professional conferences.