Dr. Gonzalo Sebastián PAZ is an Argentine citizen. He holds a J.D., and MPhil in International Relations (both from National University of Córdoba), and M.A. in Political Science and Ph.D. in Political Science (George Washington University).
He is a pioneer in the studies of extra-regional powers in Latin America, particularly China and Russia. He is currently a researcher at Georgetown University (School of Foreign Service). He also is a former lecturer at the Elliott School of International Affairs (George Washington University), American University, and University of Maryland (BC). He has been Visiting Professor at the Stockholm University (Sweden), Università Roma Tre (Italy), Tel Aviv University (Israel) and University of Guadalajara (Mexico). He has also been a professor of the School of Oriental Studies of the University of Salvador and at the Master in International Relations of La Plata National University, both in Argentina.
Dr. Paz has been invited to lecture in different universities around the world, such as Oxford, Harvard, Stanford, Chicago, Tsinghua, UNAM, UBA, Complutense, Tel Aviv, Saint Petersburg State University, and MGIMO, and at research institutions such as the Chinese Academy of Social Sciences (Beijing), Institute of Latin America of the Russian Academy of Social Sciences (Moscow) and the Woodrow Wilson Center for Scholars (Washington, DC). He has received several fellowships and awards, from Fulbright, Andrew W. Mellon, Smith Richardson Foundation, Korea Foundation Fellowship (at SNU) among others.
He has been Chair of the permanent section “Latin America and the Pacific Rim”, currently “Asia and the Americas” (2006-2007 and 2007-2009) of the Latin American Studies Association (LASA). Dr. Paz has also been a consultant with the Inter-American Development Bank (IADB), and the Organization of American States (OAS). He has been interviewed or quoted by international media, among them CNN, BBC, AFP-Agence France Press, CCTV (“Dialogue”, with Yang Rui), Voice of Americas, US-China Today, LE FIGARO, TELESUR (with Jorge Gestoso), CLARIN, La Voz del Interior, La Nación, Ambito Financiero, and Sputnik (Russia).
- Emerging Markets, Emerging Powers. The Future of the Asia Pacific in the New World Order, Jesús Argumosa Pila, Gonzalo Sebastián Paz and Mario Torres Jarrín (eds), Sweden, forthcoming June 2019.
- Russia in the US “near abroad”: Russia and Latin America after the end of the Cold War, Paz, Gonzalo S. (ed), Vladimir Rouvinsky (ed) and Viktor Kheifets (ed), Palgrave, forthcoming December 2019.
- “Re-mapping East Asia and Latin America Interregional Relations in the 21st Century”, in Interregionalism and the Americas, Gian Luca Gardini, Simon Kschut and Andreas Falke (eds.), Lexington, forthcoming November 2018.
- “Argentina and Asia, 2000-2010: China’s Reemergence, Argentina’s recovery”, in Arson, Cynthia and Jorge Heine (eds), with Christine Zaino, Reaching Across the Pacific: Latin America and Asia in the New Century, Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars (WWCS), Washington DC, August 2014, pp.153-186.
- “China, United States, and Hegemonic Challenge (HC) in Latin America: An Overview & Some Lessons from Previous Instances of Hegemonic Challenge in the Region”, The China Quarterly, (Special Issue), March 2012, pp. 18-34.
- “China-Venezuela: Oil, Technology, and Socialism”, in A. H. Hearn and J. L. León Manríquez (eds), China Engages Latin America: Tracing the Trajectory, Boulder: Lynne Rienner Publishers, July 2011, pp. 221-234.