Summer in Bogotá, Colombia 2023
- Program Type: Coursework / Internships / Research
- Program Dates: May 29 – August 11, 2023
- Application Deadline: February 15, 2023
- Program Cost: $14,148 (6 Credits) or $7,074 (3 Credits)
CLAS offers a summer immersion program in Bogotá, Colombia. Participating students take advantage of a fully immersive study experience, studying at the Universidad de los Andes, one of the foremost universities for research in Latin America. Aiming to expand participants’ knowledge of human rights and conflict resolution, the program places participants in internships in the capital city.
Appropriate concentrations include, but are not limited to: Conflict Resolution and Human Rights, Government, Development, Security Studies and Anthropology. All coursework and internships will be in Spanish.
The Colombia summer program offers an exciting opportunity for MA and PhD students to further the study of conflict resolution, human rights and democratic governability. Students will study at the Universidad de los Andes in Bogotá and participate in a full-time internship at a research center, NGO, international organization, or government organization related to the themes of human rights and conflict resolution.
Once you are admitted into a program, CLAS will work to place you into a professional internship in the country you have chosen.
Previous internships have included:
- Departamento Nacional de Planeacion, Unidad de Seguridad, Justicia y Gobernabilidad
- Agencia Colombiana de Reintegración
- CINEP- Jesuit Research NGO
- Pan American Health Organization
- World Bank
- Jesuit Refugee Service (In Bogotá, Buenaventura and Barrancabermeja)
- Development and Peace Program of Magdalena Medio (Barrancabermeja)
- Consejo Regional Indigena del Cauca (Popayan)
- Corporación Nuevo Arcoiris
- GIZ German Development Agency
- USAID Human Rights Program
- Colectivo de Abogados José Alvear Restrepo
- Comision Colombiana de Juristas
Participants will arrange their own travel, housing, and meals, and the cost of these is not included in the cost of the program.
Students are encouraged to submit applications as early as possible.
General program and administrative questions should be directed to Julie McMurtry, CLAS Associate Director.